October 17-19, 2014
Westin Hotel, Bellevue, WA
Sponsored by the Greater Seattle Romance Writers of America
The story goes like this – While on pregnancy bed rest, Lauren Dane had plenty of down time so her husband took her comments about “giving that writing thing a serious go” to heart and brought home a secondhand laptop. She wrote her first book on it before it gave up the ghost. Even better, she sold that book and never looked back.
Today Lauren is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over fifty novels and novellas across several genres. Though she no longer has to deal with Polly Pocket and getting those tiny outfits on and off, you may catch her in a nostalgic moment when the house is silent because the kids are all in school and she can get work done. Just a moment though.
Visit Lauren on the web at www.laurendane.com
You can write to her at: PO BOX 45175, Seattle, WA 98145
Ann Aguirre is a New York Times & USA Today bestselling author with a degree in English Literature; before she began writing full time, she was a clown, a clerk, a voice actress, and a savior of stray kittens, not necessarily in that order. She grew up in a yellow house across from a cornfield, but now she lives in sunny Mexico with her husband, children, and various pets. She likes books, emo music, and action movies. She writes all kinds of genre fiction for adults and teens.
Victoria Dahl lives with her family in a small town high in the Utah mountains. During the summer, she hikes and drinks margaritas (usually not at the same time.) During the winter she likes to curl up with a book and a cup of hot cocoa and think about all those poor, freezing skiers working so hard out in the snow. Victoria has published over twenty books and novellas, including three USA Today bestsellers, and several of her books have been nominated for the prestigious RITA® Award for excellence in the romance genre. Whether she’s working or relaxing, you can find Victoria on Twitter being inappropriate twenty-four hours a day.
Social Media & Branding–Human Authors in a Digital World
with Kristen Lamb
Discoverability is a universal challenge all authors face in The Digital Age. Social media has become a lifeline to attract and cultivate passionate fans. Blogging is the most stable form of social media, and offers countless advantages. Search engines will deliver new fans daily and every post works forever.
A blog only grows stronger over time. Blogs are a passive way of promotion and more likely to be noticed in a world that no longer sees and even resents advertising and promotion. Facebook can fall and Twitter can flitter, but blogs will remain.
This class will teach how to create a blog that builds an author brand, grows as your career grows, and will be immune to fads, shifts and trends. Additionally, authors need time to do the most important job—writing more books. This session will cover content that is fun, simple, quick, and effective since it harnesses your greatest strengths.
The Saturday night event for ECWC 2014 will be a Retro Romance Book Bash!
We are bringing the volume down and the lights up a little, trading club for class with a vintage cocktail party. I have all sorts of nifty plans. I will give you three to start, with much more to come. After all, we need to give you guys and gals something to look forward to.
- First, there will be a large scale visual presentation of hundreds of romance covers starting all the way back in the 1850’s ending with iconic modern popular covers playing every hour during the Bash.
- Second, half way through the bash we will kick off a book blind date. Wrap your favorite romance published prior to 1989 (25 years ago) in brown paper and put two or three key words on the outside, that’s it (no titles or anything specific), bring it to the party and halfway through we trade out. Take a chance, you might like it. You can swap as many as you bring.
- Third, our costume contest this year will be for the best sexy librarian. Break out the pencil skirts and pin-up hair. Why that of all things, you may ask? Ok, you twisted my arm; I will give you four things. If you don’t want to be a sexy librarian, sport the LBD, business casual or something photo worthy. We will be setting up photo booths and some scenes for you and your pals to have some Fabio, did I say Fabio? I meant fun *wink, wink*. It will have to be your cameras or phones but we will have someone on hand to help out so you can be in the photos as well. So bring your cameras, shoot some happy snaps, play along, have a night cap and relax.
OK, one more and I’m done, for real, correction, for now. We will have several games at the actual party this year and will have gift baskets AND critiques up for grabs (more on those later) but the first gift basket is in. In the spirit of the book blind date here are your three hints: Prada, Cashmere and Pin-ups.
For GSRWA Chapter Members
GSRWA and ECWC are offering “A Writer’s Night Out” on Saturday evening, the 18th of October at the Westin Bellevue. ECWC is opening its doors to chapter members (and a guest) to attend one of the premier book fairs in the Northwest featuring over 75 industry leading authors, then dinner with the conference Dinner Divas and to cap off the night at the Retro Romance Book Bash. Full details are available on the GSRWA and ECWC loops.
- Workshop submissions will be from Feb 1, 2014-March 15, 2014
- Emerald City Opener Contest submissions will be from April 1, 2014-May 31, 2014
- Registration opens June 1, 2014.
- Early bird registration closes August 1, 2014
- Book Fair author sign up closes September 1, 2014
- The Westin Group rate is sold out. Check with the Westin or other area hotels for room rate and availability.
- Registration closes Oct 1, 2014 or when the conference is sold out.
- Conference held Oct 17-19, 2014 (Friday to Sunday)
Dates are subject to change without notice.
$249—Early Bird GSRWA (June 1 – July 31)
$269—Early Bird NON GSRWA (June 1 –July 31)
$279—GSRWA (August 1-October 1 (or sell out)
$299—NON GSRWA (August 1-October 1 (or sell out))
Optional Master Class with Kristen Lamb:
$40 – Early Bird Registration (June 1 – July 31)
$50 - Master Class (August 1-October 1 (or sell out))